Dec 21, 2020 • Filed to: USB Recovery • Proven solutions
Have you ever had difficulty connecting your devices to your computer using a Prolific USB to Serial adapter? If yes you are lucky to find this page, it will give you all the information need to fix an unresponsive Serial driver adapter. You may have noticed a yellow exclamation mark hovering over or beside the USB to Serial Driver when searching your Device Manager and if you have we can all agree that it signifies a prevailing problem.
Virtual COM Port Driver is available in the Standard and PRO editions, so you can choose the optimal set of features that is perfectly suited to your needs. Standard version Virtual Serial Port Driver is designed to provide your system with an unlimited number of virtual serial port pairs that work like real hardware COM interfaces and fully. Welcome to the NETGEAR Download Center!! To find documentation, firmware, software, or other files, enter a whole or partial Model number in the text search box. Download drivers for NVIDIA products including GeForce graphics cards, nForce motherboards, Quadro workstations, and more. Update your graphics card drivers today.
Overview of the Error
If you are not able to connect your device to your PC using a USB to Serial adapter it may be that
- The USB driver is outdated
- The USB Driver is missing
- Or even a corrupted driver
While you can't be so sure what the exact problem is there are solutions you can adopt to fix the issue once and for all. Read on to find quick fixes to resolve the problem.
1# Fix Prolific USB to Serial Driver not Working
Solution: Roll your Prolific USB to Serial Driver back to an older version
Updating your drivers often work wonders for your system because it makes sure that it runs on the latest features that guarantee maximum functionality. Unfortunately updating your drivers can cause this kind of error especially if your latest update does not work too well with your hardware. Once you upgrade your PC to the latest Windows version your Prolific USB to Serial Driver also updates to the latest driver software and if the driver is not compatible with your Hardware issues may arise. To correct the error, you will have to download the driver again by following these steps.
- Right-click on your PC Start button and open Device Manager
- Double click LPT and COM ports then locate the Prolific USB to Serial Driver and right-click it so you can select Update Driver
- For driver software click My computer
- From My computer select 'Let me pick from a list of drivers available'
- Choose an older version from the list then click Next
- The driver you selected will be installed automatically
- Once it has been downloaded reconnect the driver to see if it works.
2# Fix Prolific USB to Serial Driver 'Coder 10'
Driver issues reveal themselves in so many ways or through messages such as
- This device will not start (Code 10)
- There is no driver installed in this device
- The driver was not successfully installed
A code 10 error may arise because the chip you are using is not an original one. If you are using a fake, the manufacturer has a way of disabling it due to copy write infringement and the copy write takes effect once you download a recent update. To protect your PC from getting this code, you will have to make sure that your Windows 10 never updates a driver without approval. Updates come in the form of 64 bit and 32-bit drivers. Below we will show you how to work your way around the problem.
Window 64 bit Fix
To fix Windows 64 bit OS including Prolific USB to Serial Adapter, follow through these steps.
- Download 'PL2303_64bit_Installer.exe and Save
- Remove every USB to Serial adapter from your PC and double click the 'PL2303_64bit_installer.exe
- Follow the prompt by plugging in one USB to Serial adapter the click on Continue
- Reboot your PC to get Windows up and running
If you have followed these process through and you still see the same error go to your device manager
- Open the control panel and navigate to Device Manager
- From your control panel navigate to the System category and click the Hardware tab
- Scroll to the LPT/COM port and double click Prolific USB to Serial Comm Port
- Click Drivers in the Properties section
- The Driver you choose should read '126.96.36.199 with an appropriate date attached
- If the date is wrong then it means the wrong driver was installed
- Unplug the Serial adapter and run the steps again to install the correct driver
For Windows 32-bit OS systems follow these steps
- You will have to download the 'PL-2303_Driver_Installer.exe and save from Microsoft download link
- Run the program and eradicate the driver if you can
- Run the installer once more to install a correct driver
To Troubleshoot for error if your device still does not work
- Go to Control panel, enter System to access your Device Manager
- Scroll down to the LPT/ COM port then double click Prolific USB to Serial Comm Port
- Click Driver in the Windows Properties section
- The driver must be numbered as '188.8.131.52' and dates accordingly
If the driver was not installed, remove the Serial adapter then run 'PL2303_Driver_Installer.exe' again. Follow directions in Device Manager to download the correct driver
The three solutions listed in this article have proven to be quite helpful in fixing a Prolific USB to Serial driver not working on Windows 10. They may appear confusing at first but if you follow each step in detail you can resolve the issue.
Video Tutorial on How to Fix USB Device Not Recognized
- Recover USB Drive
- Format USB Drive
- Fix/Repair USB Drive
- Know USB Drive
Consider the following scenario:
- You connect a Universal Serial Bus (USB) audio device, such as an audio adapter or USB digital-to-analog converter (DAC), to a Windows 10 Version 1703-based computer for the first time.
- The operating system detects the device and loads the standard USB audio 2.0 driver (usbaudio2.sys).
- Windows then downloads the device-specific driver from Windows Update.
- The downloaded device driver replaces the usbaudio2.sys driver.
In this scenario, the device cannot be used, and the computer does not have sound. The speaker icon on the task bar is marked with an X mark. When you select the icon, you receive the following message:
Audio services not responding. Both the Windows Audio and the Windows Audio End Point Builder services must be running for audio to work correctly.
This 'audio not playing' problem occurs because the default USB audio 2.0 driver (usbaudio2.sys) uses the WaveRT port for operation but the device-specific driver does not. However, both drivers use the 'wave' reference string when the device interface is registered.When the device-specific driver replaces the default driver, the device interface that is created by usbaudio2.sys is still used because the reference strings overlap. Therefore, the operating system assumes that the new driver also supports the WaveRT port. Because the new driver does not support the WaveRT port, the system cannot access the driver.
To fix this problem, use one of the following methods.
Uninstall the device. To do this, follow these steps:
Vi-pec Port Devices Driver Download
- Open Device Manager.
- Select and hold (or double-click) the name of the device, and then select Uninstall.
Note:In step 2, don't select the Delete the driver software for this device check box.
Connect the device to a different USB port. The problem may not occur if the device is connected to a different USB port.
Vi-pec Port Devices Driver Download Windows 10
If the device is not yet connected, install the device-specific driver first. You can do this by using the appropriate installer for the device. Then, connect the device. Windows now selects the device-specific driver instead of the default USB audio 2.0 driver. This method works in this situation because the problem occurs only if the device-specific driver replaces the default driver after the device is connected.